Craftsman

A potted history of Craftsman Newbury Ltd. and Gallery1753 established early 1960′s.

Craftsman opened in West Mills in the early 1960’s as an art gallery run by Bernard Rose. In the early 70’s the business moved to 61 Bartholomew St. by Blackboys Bridge and continued to trade as a gallery but added framing and crafts.Bernard was eventually joined by Peter Pope and then Peter’s twin brother the late Alan Pope.

When Bernard retired and the lease on the premises ended the business moved to its present site at 43a/b Bartholomew St. The business continued in the same form but without the craft aspect, the major part being framing. Early in 2000 the brothers decided retirement was a nice idea and put the business on the market.

With new owners, the business was granted a new lease of life. The owners being local and with art backgrounds began to take the business to the next level, the new gallery and additional art materials.

The building is grade 2 listed (and listing) dates from aprox. 1753 (tithe map) and it has been in its lifetime, Witherington & Sexton Bakery, till about 1880 Yaldens Coffee House, another bakers run by Kerr & Cowie (2 ladies), Vinces Bakers with the famous Newbury biscuit (receipe a closely guarded secret) a hairdressers and the famous Peter Holts Mortorbike shop (and we have the oily floorboards to prove it).

Run as a traditional shop with emphasis on quality, professionalism and continues to provide the excellent service for which the business is renowned. In October 2007 the premises became a building site and major refurbishments were under way, as a result of this we could finally put the last pieces into place being the new gallery, Gallery1753 and the additional art materials.

43a/b Bartholomew Street, Newbury RG14 5QA Tel/Fax: 01635 43532

www.craftsman-newbury.co.uk email: gallery1753@aol.co.uk

Shop hours: Tues/Wed/Thurs/Fri 10-5, Sat 10-4. Closed Sun & Mon